Becoming a registered audiologist or speech-language pathologist in PEI

Information for internationally trained audiologists and speech-language pathologists (SAC)

General information

Audiology and speech-language pathology became regulated health professions in Prince Edward Island on August 1, 2023. All health professionals working in these fields in the province must be registered with the College of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of PEI (CASLPPEI, the College) to practise or use their respective titles.

There are two registers that audiologists and speech-language pathologists can apply for in PEI:

  • general register - where most audiologists and speech-language pathologists are registered
  • special register - where audiologists and speech-language pathologists registered in other regulated Canadian provinces apply to practise in PEI for a limited time and special purpose

General registration requirements

According to PEI's Regulated Health Professions Act, all applicants applying must:

  • Be entitled to work in Canada;
  • Have reasonable proficiency in written and spoken English;
  • Meet education and examination requirements set out in the regulations;
  • Meet requirements concerning the currency of professional knowledge and skills set out in the regulations;
  • Not have been found guilty of an offence that, in the College Council's opinion, renders the applicants unsuitable to practise the regulated health profession; and
  • Not have been disciplined by a professional regulatory body for misconduct, incompetence or incapacity that, in the Council's opinion, renders the applicant unsuitable to practise the regulated health profession.
  • Hold or be covered by professional liability insurance or protection as required by the regulations

New graduates must meet any applicable requirements set out in the Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists Regulations.

Professionals registered in other Canadian provinces

Under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), regulated professions have mutual recognition of credentials across provinces. This means that a health professional working in audiology or speech-language pathology field who is registered and in good standing with a regulatory body in any other regulated Canadian province, can apply for registration in PEI as labour mobility applicants.